I have a feeling you guys are gonna enjoy learning about cacao!
Frequently confused with cocoa, cacao is made from raw cacao beans. They’re either ground up into powder (which is how I buy it) or it’s made into nibs.
It’s not processed like normal cocoa powder or chocolate, which makes it keep its bitter taste. But with its bitter taste it also keeps all of its lovely health benefits.
Here’s the fun part. There are actually benefits from eating cacao.
First of all. It has more calcium than cow’s milk.
- Now I’ll leave my dairy rant for another post (and trust me, I have been working on one), but I’ll say this much, dairy is horrible for you. And the one argument people always make to me is that they “need their calcium”. Well, why not get it from something that’s actually good for you, not to mention it’s chocolate…
It’s the highest plant-based form of iron
- Another thing people harp on me about is the fact that I don’t get enough iron from my lack of meat eating. And I always tell people that you can get everything you need from plants.
Cacao will help you not be a batshit crazy psycho
- So cacao boosts brain levels of serotonin. When a woman is experiencing PMS their serotonin levels drop which is what causes mood swings. So cacao will ultimately help regulate that so you don’t bite the heads off of people around you.
This superfood ALSO makes you prettier
- Cacao strengthen’s nails and makes your hair shinier with it’s high sulfur content. It also burns fat and suppresses your appetite, causes your skin to glow and prevents sunburn. It prevents premature aging. AND it fights tooth decay, causing you to have a prettier smile. I’m telling you, these beauty benefits are INSANE.
Antioxidants for days
- There are 40 times the amount of antioxidants in this magic than blueberries. And blueberries are known for their antioxidants, so that’s saying something.
Protect Yo Heart
- This superfood protects your heart and prevents cardiovascular disease. In case you didn’t know, heart disease is the number one killer amongst women. HELLLOOO!!!! Did you hear that? It’s something that most definitely isn’t made a big enough deal of. Womennnnn. We need to protect our hears. I mean this figuratively AND literally. So you can do this while eating freaking chocolate.
Even if it didn’t taste good, those benefits are enough to make me want this in everything I eat.
So add a little to your morning smoothie. I’m in love with this whole chocolate covered raspberries route I’ve been going lately.
There are TONS of things you can add it to besides smoothies too. Pick something that would taste good with chocolate, and go at it.
Buy it here!
I’m loving these wellness highlights. I learn so much. I think what we can take from all of the foods I’ve covered so far is that eating pretty makes you pretty. Good foods just make you prettier. I love it.
Ok. I’m off to make a green smoothie with a little cacao. ;)